June 24, 2018 | Humans of Highland Park Blog | Volunteers Needed at the Moraine Township Food Pantry
The Moraine Township Food Pantry is moving across the street to a great new space at 800 Central Avenue. Volunteers are needed to help move, sort and shelve the food from Saturday June 23 through Sunday July 1 (or earlier, if they get it done sooner).
Regular or occasional volunteer opportunities:
DESPERATELY NEED TRUCKS IF ANYONE CAN HELP DRIVE FOOD ACROSS THE STREET!
HELP NEEDED FOR MOVE – AGES 12 AND UP:
- Box and carry food up the stairs here at 777 Central and load it into cars / trucks
- Unload food at 800 Central Avenue
- Check expiration dates and sort food at 800 Central Avenue
- Shelve food at 800 Central Avenue
CAN’T HELP WITH THE MOVE – NO PROBLEM:
Because of the need to keep the shelves constantly filled, and because we will open the pantry three days a week instead of two, we will need a lot more volunteers! Please fill out the attached volunteer application and stop in to see if our needs match your interest and schedule.
We need folks who will sign up for shifts weekly, bi-weekly, or agree to sub when volunteers are sick or on vacation. REGULAR VOLUNTEERS MUST BE AGE 12 OR OLDER.
We are so fortunate to live in a community of people who care about and help their neighbors who may be struggling.
ONGOING HELP NEEDED – AGES 12 AND UP FOR REGULAR SHIFTS:
- Produce sorters – Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday mornings
- Shelf-stable food sorters – checking expiration dates and sorting by type of food –
- Shelvers – re-stocking shelves – with the Pantry open three days, we will need lots more shelvers
- Cleaning up after Pantry day – admittedly the most unglamorous of all the tasks offered for your consideration, but sooooooooo necessary
- Produce buyers once a week – we’re covered for now but would love a bench
- Store Donation pick up – we pick up at five stores eight times a week and always need people who will help every week, every other week, or are on call for subbing if a regular is sick or on vacation. The stores will take away our days if we don’t pick up or refuse all the food offered.
- Unloading NIFB pallets delivered the first Wednesday of each month
See the wish list of necessary items needed to equip the new client-choice Pantry. Scroll down the wish list and select an item to donate or buy in honor of a friend. Your contribution is tax deductible.